Sunday, January 30, 2011

Conflicted, with a scholarly aftertaste.

I knew from the beginning that I’d be going to college. My parents made it very clear, as did my school system. Every level of education stated that their purpose was to prepare us for the following level- first grade prepared us for second, second for third, so on and so forth until senior year, preparing us for the pinnacle of academia- college. The issue was, I had (and to be honest, have) very little idea why I’m here. I’m aware of the necessity of having a college degree to get any sort of white collar job, and doubt that I’ll ever find myself regretting a college degree, but I balk at the idea of accruing such an immense debt all for- what? For a piece of paper that says I was able to keep my head down and get through four years of processed learning? Maybe I’ll get a second piece of paper, on with a big fancy Master’s on it, but even then, where will I be? I have lots of interests, and I genuinely want to learn, but I don’t know that any of my interests are truly worth a couple ten thousand a year. Sure, there are plenty of jumping-off points, but I’m not entirely sure I’m really setting myself up to make the best of this huge investment. I’d rather be here than working at an ice cream shop at home, but what’s to say that this education is really going to establish a viable enough skill set to make me marketable in mainstream industry? Especially with artistic interests- will a BA or BFA in an arts discipline make me a better artist than someone who didn’t go to school? Maybe I’ll learn a little more technique, or network more, but at the end of my days, will I look back and think to myself- Gee, that extra thousand dollars worth of busy work and credit hours really made a difference! Not to sound ungrateful, but I doubt it. I’d rather reminisce and be able to recognize the countless points in my life where I grew as a person- where I heightened my life and the lives of those around my through experience, not just what was on my resume.
If only education were as free as its results are freeing. I do believe in education; I think it’s vital to being a better human, but I’m not quite sold on the extremist of a university degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment