Sunday, April 17, 2011
Bounce.
I guess what's weird is that there's pretty much no way I couldn't have come out of this year a little disappointed. I'm sort of dreading going home, having to answer all the "oh how is it" questions about college, Richmond, VCU life. Every time anyone asks me how I like college, I feel a little guilty. I don't know what they're expecting- Yeah. I love it. I enjoy college in that I love sleeping in all day, eating whenever and whatever I want. I like not having to clean my bathroom, I like being able to walk around a city I didn't think I was going to live in and I like being able to hide in public and not have people know who I am. I didn't make a million and one friends this year. I didn't get drunk or high or laid. I didn't party, I didn't riot, I didn't fail any classes. I stayed in most of the time, I cultivated myself, became sure of myself, proud of myself, silently, in my room. I've never been to a club. I didn't go downtown or uptown and I'm nervous that, in shattering the expectations of the eager-to-reminisce inquirers, I'll lose their interest and their feigned support. I didn't do what anyone, myself included, expected me to this year. Didn't party, didn't declare, didn't recreate myself. I just sat this one out, observing. I feel kinda bad, but I think I'd feel worse if I'd done all those things. That isn't who I am this year- forcing myself to get wild out there would have been more of a detriment to my security and sanity then introversion and reflection, for sure. I feel lame, yeah, but if anything, I'm able to recognize that my time here isn't going anywhere. Friends will come and go, parties will have their morning's after, and I'll have gained the peace of mind to endure it all. I didn't do hardly anything I thought I would this year, but I think I'm better for it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
There is no reason to do any of the things that you listed above unless you want to do them. If people back home cant accept you for who you are then screw them. Be yourself and live how you want to live!
ReplyDeleteI think it's really brave of you to say all of this. I feel pretty much the same as you. I didn't party or drink and any of the crazy college stuff that "everyone" does. I just did what I had to do to pass my class. I am actually really looking forward to summer though!
ReplyDeleteThanks to both of you. It's nice to have your feelings validated. :} Here's to the REAL college experience!
ReplyDelete