Sunday, February 27, 2011

Inkd

I’ve always been fascinated with tattoos- when I was a little kid I was constantly drawing on myself. Whenever any of my siblings would come home with a stick-on tattoo, I would throw a fit until I got one, too. As I grew older, my love of ink stayed strong. Far too many a time have I been yelled at by my parents for writing all over my arm. Nearly all of my friends have sported sharpie-ink drawn onto skin by my hand. I was obsessed with the history of tattoos and the symbolism behind them- from ancient tribes to sailor stories, corporal illustration was something I couldn’t get enough of. I could never decide if I’d rather be a tattoo artist or just get some tattoos, but I was certain that body-modi would be a part of my life. However, now that I have the resources to make this long time dream a reality, I find myself balking at the chance to permanently alter my appearance. I don’t know if it’s the fact that everyone and their mother (literally, their mother) has a tattoo or that I don’t feel like any of my stories merit a living symbol on my flesh, but suddenly, the idea of getting inked up has less appeal. I still love tattoos, though, but maybe not on me. What do you think? Are tattoos worth the pain and money required to get them? If you were to get a tattoo, what would you get, or if you have one, what is it and why?

1 comment:

  1. I feel like this is a very good question (you do usually come up with interesting blogs in general, even if I don't always agree with you). To answer your questions though, I don't think that a tattoo has to have a really good story behind it. It may be good to not just get something randomly because it is permanent, but if its something the person that its on likes then it shouldn't matter if there is some super cool reason.

    I also just think tattoos are attractive when done properly. So I'd say go for it, if you think you want it. For me, I want one, but I know I have commitment issues and I don't really like having things drawn on me so a tattoo isn't the best call.

    If I were to get one, it would probably be on my foot because i think those are really cute and it would probably be of a rose because my Grandma got a tattoo when she was like 59 just because she had never done it and she got a small rose tattoo on the inside of her ankle.

    I guess thats a lot of words when what I really want to say is tattoos are a very personal thing and no matter how many people you ask, its a choice only the person getting it can make.

    ReplyDelete